Tuesday, February 22, 2011
A6, Seawhite of Brighton sketchbook number 10, begun 31st October 1997.
And here we are again at the start of a new sketchbook. Historically speaking, this one was started early on in the MA course in sequential illustration that I did at Brighton University. The previously documented nine sketchbooks played a large part, I suspect, in winning me a place on the course.
Those notes about "book repairs" relate to a set of five handbound, photocopied books I'd made for a project on the MA. I had read somewhere that dental floss made a good thread for sewing book blocks. Unfortunately I had used waxed dental floss which turned out to be a very bad idea. All my knots slipped and my lovingly made books were falling apart on the morning when they were to be judged by my fellow students at The Big Crit. I ended up slipping rubber bands around them to hold them together which was an effective but inelegant solution.
Click on images to make them grow.
I like the lettering on page 1. As it happens, around that time I was living in the first house on Cherry Hinton Road, opposite the Junction.Post a Comment